Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wanna Date, Honey?

Here, at my friend's blog, I found a recipe for . . . . . ok, well, I can't find it there right now, but you might want to stop in and say hello to my friend, anyway . . . . ok, so moving right along - a recipe for . . . . a recipe for, well, ok it isn't there either (still a good site to visit!).

Maybe I was dreaming it, but I know I didn't, because I have the recipe sitting right here in front of me and I have made it.  And I LOVE it!  So easy and delicious on freshly ground peanut butter!

OK, so I thought this was going to be a quick easy post, but NO.  Did I even save the durned recipe on my 'puter?  NO.

Here is it - let me know if you enjoy it as much as I am!

Date Honey

1 cup pitted dates (about 6-8 Medjool or 18-20 Deglet Noor)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Pour dates and water into a small saucepan, making sure dates are completely covered (add additional water if necessary).  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to low (don't forget to do this!!!!) and simmer 45-60 minutes or until dates are very soft and broken down (kind like me).  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly for about 15 minutes.  Here is recipe says to pour mixture (including liquid) into a blender or food processor and puree until completely smooth. Not - heck, that gives you just one more dirty container!  I just smooshed the heckarooni outa'em.  Completely smooth - patoooey - a few little ol' chunks isn't gonna hurt anyone!  Ok, enough nonsense, sprinkle in cinnamon and stir well.  Store in a sealed container in refrigerator.  If it lasts that long.  Yield: 12 servings (serving size about 1 Tablespoon).  No joke on the serving size, a little goes a long way since it is so yummily sweet.

Enjoy it on toast, sliced apples, PBJ sandwiches - get creative.

OK - your turn.  Please do let me know how you like it!

No comments: