Friday, July 23, 2010

Something Yummy and Something Difficult


Let's start with yummy, although not NEARLY as important.  I recently needed to contribute a dessert to a potluck and, as luck would have it, had nothing on hand to whip something up.  When you live as far away from the store as we do, the last thing you want to do is jump in the car and run to the store.  SO, I started rummaging through my pantry to create something.  What I came up with has become the much asked for, EASY and fast dessert!  I'll share it with you!

shhh - don't tell - I rummage the shelves of the freight damaged CHEAPO stores and stock my pantry!  I think this Angel Food mix cost me all of $0.49!  All you add is water to it and whip it up nicely.  I use home canned pears, but I imagine you could use any fruit that you have on hand.
In a baking pan, melt 1/2 cube of butter and a couple of good squirts of corn syrup.  Sprinkle on about 1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar and mix it all up sugary sweet.


Next, chop up as much fruit as you can stand and add that to the gooey stuff on the bottom of the pan, and top it all off with the fluffy cake batter.


Throw the mess into a pre-heated to 350 degree oven and let it bake for around 30-35 minutes.  The top should be golden brown with a few splits in the top.

Remove from the oven and slide a knife or spatula around the edges to loosen the baked scrumptiousness from the sides of the pan and invert onto a waiting cookie sheet or proper sized plate.

Cut and serve for all to enjoy!  The texture is somewhere between a pound cake and sponge cake - terrifically yummy!




Of course, you have to have a little help to clean up all those messy dishes, right?







Now for the difficult part of the post.  IBoy left today and won't be back for just over a month :-(  I'm sure that you can imagine, or have experience, in letting your youngest son go off on an adult adventure, but I will appreciate all of your prayers for his safety and my composure until he returns home to his ever-lovin' momma.  He was accepted into a YouthCorps program that will be working (hard labor) in the backcountry.  He said:  "heck, Mom, I would be doing the same thing with my friends around home anyway - I may as well do it with this group and get paid for doing it!"  Gotta love the logic!

IBoy laden with all his gear that he will need for the next month.

And now I will close with a photo of my two eldest blessings still at home.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Did you save some of that dessert for us?? Looks YUMMY!
We will keep your son and family in our prayers. Can't fault his logic! :)
Blessings!